Surprise your love with this bright red risotto made of beets with buttery scallops on top. Make sure your risotto is really creamy by adding more stock if it is getting to thick. The scallops should be quickly seared and scattered with butter while cooking. Place them on top of the risotto and serve. This is a small entree or a heavy starter. But who needs to eat a lot when you should celebrate love?
Beet Risotto with Scallops and Browned Butter
The risotto serves 4 but you can just save some until later. It is good with any fish or as a vegetarian dish with some goat cheese on top.
Fresh scallops is a must on Valentines Day. Save the frozen ones until later.
Risotto, (good enough for 4 persons)
1/2 onion, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 cup of arborio rice
1 cup of dry white wine
3 cups (or more) of organic chicken stock
2-3 beets, peeled and grated
1/2 cup of grated pecorino, plus more for serving
6 fresh scallops
2 oz of butter
2 sprig of thyme
1 small clove of garlic, peeled
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the onion and garlic in a large pot until translucent. Make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Add the rice and stir quickly until shiny.
- Pour over the wine and stir and let it simmer until it is almost evaporated.
- Now, add stock, bit by bit. Approximately a half cup at a time and stir frequently. The rice should only simmer, not boil hard.
- As soon as the stock has evaporated you add more and stir. This takes about 30 minutes depending the brand of the rice.
- Add the beets and let it simmer for a few minutes before you add the pecorino. Salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- Brown the butter with the thyme and garlic in a frying pan and sear the scallops quickly, about 1 minute on each side. Scatter with butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a little more stock to the risotto if needed and spoon on two warm plates. I made a heartshaped portion but that’s just an option.
- Place the scallops on top and drizzle with a little brown butter.
- Serve with more pecorino on the side.