Waffles can be a sweet childhood memory but also a more grown up dish depending on how you serve it. In Sweden we have a special waffle day – March 25th. It dates back a long time ago when the farmers started with their spring farming operations. But it is also a religious purpose saying that archangel Gabriel told Virgin Mary she was pregnant. However, waffles is the perfect start for a lovely spring weekend. We give you two wonderful recipes of waffles, one sweet waffle with honey-mascarpone, blueberries and passionfruit suryp and a savoury with poached egg, avocado and smoked salmon. Dig in!
Spelt Waffles with Honey Mascarpone, blueberries and passionfruit suryp or the savoury way with poached egg, avocado and smoked salmon
The whole meal spelt flour gives the waffles a slight nutty taste.
3 dl/1, 2 cup all purpose flour
1 dl/0,8 cup whole meal spelt flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
5 dl/2 cups milk
100 g/3, 5 oz butter, melted and cooled
For the sweet waffles:
Add 2 tbsp runny honey
For the savoury waffles:
Add 100 g/3, 5 oz of frozen (thawed) minced spinach
Add another 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Add half the amount of the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add the rest of the milk and mix well.
- Add the melted butter and the eggs and mix until a lump free batter.
- Add either the sweet option or the savoury option below.
- In a hot waffle iron bake waffles according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Serve the sweet waffles with:
2 dl/0,8 cup sugar
2 dl/0,8 cup water
1 vanilla bean, the seeds or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Simmer sugar, water and vanilla seeds appr 10 minutes until a syrupy consitency.
- Cut the passionfruits in half and scoop out the flesh and add to the syrup.
- Let cool.
250 g/9 oz mascarpone
2-3 tbsp runny honey
2, 5 dl/1 cup blueberries
- Mix the mascarpone and the honey and transfer to a bowl.
- Rinse the berries and transfer to a separate bowl.
Serve the savoury waffles with:
1 litre/4 cups of water
1 tsp white vinegar
200 g/3, 5 oz smoked salmon in thin slices
2 avocados in thin slices
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 pinch of chili flakes
- In a large sauce pan heat the water with with the vinegar.
- When the water is simmering crack on egg at the time in a little cup and carefully slip it into the water.
- After 2-3 minutes lift up the egg with a slotted spoon and place on a plate while repeating the same method with the remaining eggs.
- Serve the savoury waffles with smoked salmon, avocado, a pinch of sea salt, fresh ground pepper and a few chiliflakes